Quick chicken roast
- 6 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 anchovies in oil, drained, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 800g baby potatoes, halved lengthways
- 100g speck or streaky bacon, cut into 5mm-thick batons
- 250g baby truss tomatoes
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Combine the thyme, anchovies, oregano, chilli, oil, garlic and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Add the potatoes and toss to combine. Place on a large baking tray and scatter over the speck/bacon.
Cut the zested lemon into wedges and add to the tray. Season and roast for 40 minutes or until chicken is golden and potatoes tender. Remove from the oven and top with tomatoes. Roast for a further 10-15 minutes until tomatoes are blistered.
Squeeze over roasted lemon juice to serve.
Chickpea and chorizo stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g piece pancetta, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1.5cm cubes, cooked for 2-3 minutes until almost tender
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 600ml tomato passata
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
Heat oil in a casserole or large, deep frypan over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta and chorizo, turning, for 2-3 minutes until starting to crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. Drain excess oil and fat, leaving 2 tablespoons in pan.
Return the pan to medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Return the pancetta and chorizo to the pan with the garlic and oregano. Stir for a further minute, then add the potatoes, chickpeas, wine, passata and stock. Season, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Lamb, vegetable and barley soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g lamb shoulder steaks, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 parsnip, peeled, diced
- 1 small orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow button squash, diced
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add lamb. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add lamb, barley, rosemary, stock and 1 1/2 cups cold water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until lamb is tender. Add parsnip, potato, zucchini and squash. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with pepper. Serve.